Welcome to ibelieveinghosts.com...
This site documents the findings of the Creatures of the Night, a paranormal investigation team.



Villisca Ax Murder house, Villisca IA:
The Villisca ax murders occurred between the evening of June 9, 1912, and early morning of June 10, 1912, in the town of Villisca in southwestern Iowa. The six members of the Moore family and two house guests were found bludgeond in the Moore residence by a family member. All eight victims, including six children, had severe head wounds from an ax. A lengthy investigation yielded several suspects, one of whom was tried twice. The first trial ended in a hung jury and the second in an acquittal. The crime remains unsolved



Edinburgh Manor, Scotch Grove IA:
Edinburgh Manor is among the many infamously haunted locations in Iowa. The building originally designed as a a courthouse, became a poor farm in the mid-1800s after the county seat moved to another town. The poor farm was described as a "comfortable retreat for lazy, able-bodied and willingly dependent applicants." It was a shelter for the poor, incurably insane and disabled. Tenants farmed agriculture and livestock and were given room and board in return for their labor. The manor had a cemetery onsite, where the bodies of those who passed away while residing at the poor house were buried. There were over 80 documented fatalities on the property, and some of those deaths were from questionable causes. The poor house operated from 1850 to 1910, when it was closed down and demolished. Edinburgh Manor was then constructed, and completed in 1911. It was in operation until November, 2010. The building has since been reopened for paranormal investigations.



The Franklin Hotel, Strawberry Point IA:
The Franklin Hotel was built in 1902 in Strawberry Point Iowa on the location of the old Blake House hotel that was built in 1854. This hotel still maintains its Victorian era elegance and is said to be haunted by several spirits.One spirit is said to be a former resident who lived 42 years at the hotel by the name of Leo who also owned an attached building and business called "Leo's Laundrama". In life he was nearly blind and it is said that he still rings the old bell message system that pre-dated the telephone from time to time and has been seen roaming the hallway as well. While alive he nick named another spirit that haunts the hotel "Lily". She has been seen in a lavender gown in the both the lobby and dining room. She is often heard singing and sometimes moaning when she is encountered. Legend claims that she was a former prostitute during the roaring 1920's.



Lizzie Borden Bed & Breakfast, Fall River, MA:
Lizzie Borden and her family lived at 92 Second Street in the city of Fall River, Massachusetts, from 1874 to 1892.Following her release from the prison in which she had been held during the trial for the axe murder of her father and step mother, Lizzie and her sister Emma did not return to the house;instead, Lizzie bought another house located at 7 French Street that she named Maplecroft. Lizzie lived there until her death on June 1, 1927.The Commonwealth of Massachusetts elected to charge no one else with the murder of Andrew and Abby Borden; speculation about the crimes still continues more than 100 years later. The house number of 92 Second Street was changed to 230 in 1896. It has operated as a bed and breakfast since 1996 under the ownership of Martha McGinn who inherited the house. Her grandparents purchased the house on August 4, 1948. According to Martha McGinn, the room where Lizzie's stepmother Abby Borden was found murdered is the “most requested room” of the bedrooms at the bed and breakfast. The Fall River Historical Society promotes the Lizzie Borden bed and breakfast as a tourist attraction.



The Lemp Mansion, St. Louis, MO:
The Lemp Mansion is a historical house in Benton Park, St. Louis, Missouri. It is also the site of four suicides by Lemp family members after the death of the son Frederick Lemp, whose William J. Lemp Brewing Co. dominated the St. Louis beer market before Prohibition with its Falstaff beer brand. The mansion is said to be haunted by members of the Lemp family. Charles Lemp, the third son of William Sr., was the final Lemp to live in the mansion, starting in 1929. He had left the brewery in 1917, to go into banking and finance. He never married and lived with his dog in the mansion with two servants, a married couple. April, 1941, Charles Lemp sent a letter to a south St. Louis funeral home requesting that in case of his death, his remains should be taken by ambulance to the Missouri Crematory. His body should not be bathed, clothed, or changed. His ashes should be put into a wicker box and buried on his farm. There were to be no funeral held or a notice put in the papers. On May 10, 1949; eight years later, he shot his dog, then himself in the head, leaving the following suicide note: "St. Louis Mo/May 9, 1949, In case I am found dead blame it on no one but me. Ch. A. Lemp." In 1950, the mansion became a boarding house; throughout the next decade, it lost much of its ornate charm. The construction of Interstate 55 during the 1960s led to the destruction of much of the grounds and one of the carriage houses. The Lemp Mansion is currently a restaurant and inn owned by the Pointer family; tours both historical and haunted are offered, and it is a venue for murder mystery dinner theatre and Halloween parties.



Sedamsville Rectory, Cincinnati, OH:
The Sedamsville Rectory was built over 120 years ago.The Rectory is one of four buildings once belonging to Our Lady of Perpetual Help. The Rectory housed the priests that served the community. The church itself was dedicated on May 5, 1889. However the parish was organized by German speaking members of St. Vincent de Paul in 1878. The Gothic Revival style church sits high on a hill overlooking Sedamsville and replaced another church built on Sedam Avenue that was prone to flooding. The school, built in 1907, closed in 1976 and merged with Holy Family parish in East Price Hill. When Our Lady of Perpetual Help parish closed, the remaining families joined Holy Family as well. Our Lady of Perpetual Help Church was stripped of its sacred items and the building was sold.The Rectory has had its share of deaths. We know a man was found dead on the street in front of the Rectory. We have also found that years ago a child was found dead in front of it with a noose around the child's neck. Father Donald MacLeod, author of The History of Roman Catholicism in North America, was struck by a train and killed in Sedamsville near this location in the late 1800's. He was on his way to provide comfort and sermon to a seriously ill woman when he was hit by an oncoming train on the Indianapolis and Cincinnati Railroad and killed instantly. For years following his tragic death, parishioners and people in the community spoke of seeing his ghostly image, often walking down at the foot of Steiner Street where the Rectory is located, down by the tracks where he was struck by the train. Visitors to the Rectory have reported hearing footsteps, voices, doors opening and closing, and often times a figure of a man dressed in a dark clergy robe walking from one room to.



Woodruff-Fontaine House, Memphis, TN:
Amos Woodruff came to Memphis in 1845 to expand his carriage-making business. He bought the property and began construction in 1870. Completed in 1871, the first event held at the mansion was the wedding of Amos’ daughter, Mollie Woodruff. Mollie Woodruff Henning, that is said to haunt the house.Tragically, her infant child contracted yellow fever and died in the Rose Bedroom. Not long after that, Egbert Wooldridge died on pneumonia and died, also in the Rose Bedroom. Mollie was devastated, but eventually married again. This marriage produced another child, but it also died in the Rose Bedroom. In 1883, the Fontaine's moved out of the house. Mollie died in 1917. Some say that she moved back to the house after her death. Noland Fontaine, was the second owner of the mansion. The Fontaines of Kentucky and Memphis are descendents of the Huguenots who fled from France to England after the 1685 edict of Nantes, immigrating to Virginia in 1716. Mr. Fontaine was a Cotton Factor of the very prominent company of Hill, Fontaine & Co. He died in 1912 and his wife died in 1928. In 1929, the estate was sold for $25,000.00 with the intention of becoming an antique shop; however, that venture was never realized. The house was subsequently sold to Rosa Lee for the purpose of expanding her Free Art School. The art school moved to Overton Park in 1959, and the house remained vacant until 1961, when the Association for Preservation of Tennessee Antiquities saved the mansion through a public fund.



West Virginia State Penitentiary, Moundsville, WV:
The West Virginia State Penitentiary is a retired, gothic style prison located in Moundsville, West Virginia. It operated from 1876 to 1995. Conditions at the prison during the turn of the 20th century were good, according to a warden's report, which stated that, "both the quantity and the quality of all the purchases of material, food and clothing have been very gradually, but steadily, improved, while the discipline has become more nearly perfect and the exaction of labor less stringent.However, the conditions at the prison worsened through the years, as the facility would be ranked on the United States Department of Justice's Top Ten Most Violent Correctional Facilities list. One of the more infamous locations in the prison, with instances of gambling, fighting,and raping, was a recreation room known as "The Sugar Shack".Towards the end of its life as a prison, the facility was marked with many instances of riots and escapes. In the 1960s, the prison reached a peak population of about 2,000 inmates. With the building of more prisons, that number declined to 600 – 700 inmates by 1995. The fate of the prison was sealed in a 1986 ruling by the West Virginia Supreme Court which stated that the 5 x 7-foot (2.1 m) cells were cruel and unusual punishment. Within nine years, the West Virginia State Penitentiary was closed as a prison.





Ashmore Estates, Ashmore, IL:
Ashmore Estates is a historic building outside of Ashmore, IL. This former almshouse, once part of the Coles County Poor Farm, was built in 1916 and operated until 1959, when it was purchased by Ashmore Estates, Inc. for use as a private psychiatric care facility. Ashmore Estates closed in 1987 and stood abandoned until 2006, when it was opened as a haunted house. Local historian and author Michael Kleen presented a paper on the history of Ashmore Estates and the Coles County Poor Farm at the 2010 Conference on Illinois History in Springfield. 





Magnolia Manor, Bolivar, TN:
A Haunted Bed and Breakfast in Bolivar Tennessee. In the year of 1849, a Judge by the name of Austin Miller had the establishment constructed. Built in the classical Georgian Colonial style, this structure has been rumored to be haunted for many years in which it has stood. Several slaves worked together to construct this majestic structure in which many generations of the Miller family lived. In addition to this, this home was used by the Union Army in the time of the Civil War. Today, and since the year of 1995, the beautiful home has been used as a Bed and Breakfast Inn. Here, you will learn why Magnolia Manor is considered to be the most haunted bed and breakfast in Bolivar, Tennessee. 





The Waverly Hills Sanitorium, Louisville KY:
During the 1800s and early 1900s, America was ravaged by a deadly disease known by many as the “white death” tuberculosis. This terrifying and very contagious plague, for which no cure existed, claimed entire families and sometimes entire towns. In 1900, Louisville, Kentucky had one of the highest tuberculosis death rates in America. Built on low, swampland, the area was the perfect breeding ground for disease and in 1910, a hospital was constructed on a windswept hill in southern Jefferson County that had been designed to combat the horrific disease. The hospital quickly became overcrowded though and with donations of money and land, a new hospital was started in 1924. 


Watseka Wonder House/Roff Home, Watseka IL:
The small town of Watseka, located in the northeastern corner of the state and just a few miles from the Indiana border, was just like any other midwestern farm town in the late 1800's. Little out of the ordinary occurred here --- until July 1877. It was in this month that what became known as the "Watseka Wonder" first came to prominence here.




Bethel Presbyterian Cemetery, Atoka TN:
The Church has a large and fairly old cemetery (est. in the 1850's) on its gate, these grounds are said to house a very unfriendly spirit. The spirit is said to have a dog like head, lion sized body with coarse mane like hair, and deep red eyes. I have heard many incidents where it was sighted and had chased people out of the cemetary. On one occasion as the people cleared the fence, the creature hit the gate so hard that it shook, however it did not persue them once they left the cemetary.




Millington Smoke Stacks, Millington TN:
This was once a gunpowder factory used during the world wars. Most of it is underground and consists of long winding tunnels. Their are many stories from that area that would suggest Satan worshippers used the area for practicing at one time, but that also a homeless man used the underground tunnel system to hide the bodies of his murdered victims. The gunpowder factory sits in ruins just inside the Shelby Forest area, however the Smokestacks can be seen from the nearby roads. Rumor has it that the woods surrounding the Smokestacks are haunted by the homless man's victims and the tunnels are haunted by the man himself.



Shelby Forest, Millington, TN:
There are reports of a man that has been sighted in the woods several times known as the Pigman. He has a pig like face and others and is reported to be living near a bridge, however disappears when approached. He and others haunt this wooded area, though he is only likely spotted at night.




The Orpheum Theatre, Memphis, TN:
Several definitive accounts of Mary, the ghost of the Orpheum Theatre exist in the archives of Memphis magazine, in "It Happened in Tennessee" and the published history of the Orpheum. The ghost of a little girl, Mary, haunts this theatre. She has a favorite seat during the performances, C-5. Some people believe that she is the ghost of a girl who died when the original Orpheum burned, but no one was reported to have been killed, and others believe she was killed near the Orpheum on Beale St. She is not a malicious ghost, actually she is very shy, and enjoys playing the organ (where she has appeared several times.)























All content © 2010 ibelieveinghosts.com